Sunday, July 19, 2015

Lesson 7 - Lecture

I am definitely a 'Suburbanite'.  And because of that geographical title, I am afraid I have been a little sheltered when it comes to many of the graffiti style murals shown in the video, because I haven't seen any of them!  But even without seeing them in person, I am impressed with the scale and creativity involved in these paintings.

The Pilsen murals shown were the examples that most intrigued me, particularly Peck's description, "...that's what i really kind of like about the murals in this neighborhood... is that they're not just art for art's sake, but sort of art with a function, and that function of trying to show, sort of, the perfect world.


Many of the murals in this part of Chicago tell a story and represent what is important to the culture of the residents living here.  The examples in Wicker Park seemed to be more abstract examples of this graffiti style mural art.  

However, even in the sheltered south suburbs, there are examples worth checking out - especially along sections of the old Route 66.  So, if you get the chance, take a trip to Joliet to see some interesting examples there...



No comments:

Post a Comment