Sunday, July 5, 2015

Lesson 5 - Dali - Dali


This self portrait film of the Surrealist artist (& I use the term 'artist' lightly), Salvador Dali was a complete waste of my time.

This potentially acid-induced, psychedelic, 1970's trip into the mind of S. Dali (produced by his wife) was a ridiculous, confusing, observation of a man who egotistically spoke of himself in the 3rd person, in barely intelligible English, intertwined with sexually charged snippets of so-called 'performance art', which left me with a visual heartburn.

I felt like the paintings, performances and photographs assaulted me.  I do not think I need to feel the trauma that Dali experienced through thoughts of war or travels in the birth canal.  It did not help me better understand the messages he was trying to convey.

Early on in the film, Dali exclaims, "Dali is not crazy at all".

I beg to differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment