Sunday, July 12, 2015

Lesson 6 - Lecture

I have been looking forward to learning more about the era of Modern Art, and it appears, according to this most recent video lecture, that I am in for a certain treat of the senses.  The video provided teasers of a variety of contemporary styles and artists that are about to explored.

Of all the names dropped in this lecture video (& there were certainly quite a few names of people  influential in the Minimalist & Pop Culture movements), I was most intrigued by the mention of Leo Castelli.

Castelli was a gallery curator who was pro-active in seeking out art, even guiding art, in a sense.  Even though he wasn't a painter or sculptor, I think it's fair to say that he was an artist in his own right, by creating exhibitions of new talent.  Whether it was abstract expressionism, pop art or surrealism, Castelli was responsible for getting a number or artists noticed and helped nurture the start of numerous successful career such as Jasper Johns, Roy Lichenstein and Andy Warhol.

I would also like to comment that it is refreshing to hear that my instructor, Nathan peck is not afraid to publicly admit to disliking particular artists.  Such an admission further reinforces my enjoyment of classes like this, which allow for free thinking, educated opinions and open ended-questions.  For instance, of all the films about paintings revealed so far, I found myself developing a strong dislike for artists such as Caravaggio & Dali.  I realize now that this class is not just about recognizing certain styles or paintings, but, rather, developing an appreciation (as well a personal opinion) about art on a higher level.

I was also happy to hear the professor reveal, "not all art is designed necessarily for you to enjoy it - visually or conceptually".  

Bring on the Modern Art!


No comments:

Post a Comment