Monday, June 1, 2015

Lesson 1 - Modern Marvels: Paint

The History Channel's documentary, "Modern Marvels: Paint" proved to be a fitting introductory video for this course. By uncovering the origins and learning the technology's role in manufacturing paint, a student (of life and of SXU) can truly begin to appreciate this medium - not only for what an artist can create with a brush, but how the paint on that brush came to be in the first place.  If this first video is any indicator, I think this online course is right up my alley...

As narrator, Max Raphael, points out, early in the film, "The world, in case you haven't noticed, is painted."  I felt the film did a great job of clarifying that point.  The examples shown, from cave paintings to satellites coated to withstand elements beyond the earth's atmosphere, provided a rainbow of colors on the film's palette.

I was impressed with the pigments that our ancestors discovered more than 30,000 years ago and realized it boils down to this: The resourcefulness and ingenuity of prehistoric man is the reason I can open up a can of paint in the color of "Sculptor's Clay" and roll it on the walls of my living room.  Is it too late to send a 'shout-out' to the cave people?  I feel like they at least deserve a 'hashtag'.

#cavepeoplerock

And for the record, my living room looks amazing*.



The most interesting part of the film for me, was the history of resin, or binding agents, that have been a part of paint over the centuries.  From animal fat, to eggs, to linseed oil, to latex, each innovation coincides with a specific historical time period.  As we evolved, so did the manufacturing of paint and, in turn, affected the styles and colors used by artists worldwide.

I likely learned more than I need to know about Titanium Dioxide (thank you, DuPont, for all you produce), but am thankful that the process to make it into the white base of our paints took the place of lead, which was thankfully banned in 1978 ('kudos' to the Egyptians here - the use of fermenting animal feces and vinegar to heat lead,and create the pure white pigment was ingenious).   Being  the owner of a 100+ yr old farmhouse, I am certain that many layers of this dangerous (& apparently tasty, but I'll take their word for that) lead paint lies within these walls.  I am grateful for alternatives to this toxic predecessor.  It is also comforting to know that chemists are continually working to reduce volatile solvents in paints, leaving less of an environmental impact on our good ole' planet.

Being a fan of the History Channel, I found the film both entertaining and educational.  The only images that didn't particularly keep my attention, were those of industrial or factory applications of paint, although I can certainly appreciate the importance of these items and the role they play in making my life easier.

I look forward to the other films that Professor Peck has in store for me.

*Home improvements brought to you courtesy of:




      

No comments:

Post a Comment