Sunday, June 7, 2015

Lesson 2 - Lecture

My apologies, Mr. Peck, for my previous statement that may have insulted your lighting techniques.  You have MORE than redeemed yourself with your use of lighting in this Lesson 2 Lecture video.  The effects were unexpected, over-dramatic, and fun.  I officially retract my statement from my Lesson 1 - Lecture blog: "My only critique is that the lighting could have been improved in some scenes."  And I will beat myself with a wet noodle for being so judgmental.

The topics discussed in this lecture were: the lens, light, and hyper-reality.  But, because, as a photographer myself, light is always something I am aware of, I think I'll focus on that aspect of this week's opening video.

The most notable technique in the film was that of the black-out background as Mr. Peck discussed the overview of the upcoming weeks in the class.  The high contrast lighting provided a scenario as if the viewer was watching a confessional & Mr. Peck had to reveal all the information he could in a short amount of time.



Then there was the clips filmed by candlelight, one of my favorite lighting techniques to experiment with.  As in Mr. Peck's example, the constant change of the flickering candle casts unusual shadows on the subject, as well as the background.




When the filming took place under the 'L' in the yellow glow of a streetlight, a sense of gritty reality, and even danger was portrayed.  It may not be an alley I would volunteer to hang out in, but I appreciate the lengths Mr. Peck went to in capturing this striking reality. 





The most entertaining technique was Mr. Peck's use of back-light to create  a Hitchcock-esque silhouette.  I found this fitting as it somewhat represented the narrator's mystery in his mixed feelings about Rembrandt & Caravaggio.




Thank you, Mr. Peck for the humor and insight you bring to your lecture videos.  I am thoroughly enjoying the process of analyzing the films and the paintings and can't wait to see what you come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment