Sunday, June 7, 2015

Lesson 1 - LECTURE

Although I am writing this blog post out of order, I felt I needed to discover my writing style before I tackled the task of critiquing my professor's work.  I am hoping Mr. Peck will interpret my style as intended - factual, yet relating to my own personal life, with a touch of sarcasm & 'smart-ass' comments.  Of course, I'm only doing as instructed.  Here's to hoping my teacher won't hold these characteristics against me...

The first thing I noticed while watching the introductory video for Films About Paintings (& expressed out loud) was, "Dammit, my teacher is younger than me!"


Guess that's what happens when you wait 20 years to return to finish your degree.  It also doesn't help that the majority of my fellow students are likely half my age!

The next things I noticed was how relaxed, yet professional Mr. Peck came off on camera.  This non-threatening angle eased my mind a bit, as this Films About Paintings course was my first class in so many years.  I was also pleased to find that my teacher and I have similar outlooks on creativity.  I am hopeful that I will never stop learning.  Mr. Peck stated something similar when he declared, "I spend a lot of time in the studio, trying to figure out how to do this, how to do it in a new and interesting way".  I think it's fair to say he has succeeded  so far. I have never taken a class where I needed to blog my assignments, and I find the method refreshing and challenging.  And the fact that we have an option to take a museum tour OR a written final exam?!  Rock on, Peck.

The style of cinematography was clear and to the point (the iPhone seems more than capable of handling what you were trying to get across).  I also felt that the addition to music with the transitions made the lecture appealing to watch.  My only critique is that the lighting could have been improved in some scenes.  No offense, Mr. Peck, my experience in photography has trained my eyes to always observe the way light hits a subject.  Oh, and I think you may want to consider investing in a new bookshelf, as the one in the video appears not quite sturdy enough for the amount it holds.

Finally, I found it very interesting that  my instructor described paintings as a way for artists to tell their stories, despite language barriers.  Viewpoints like this one reveal more understanding of paintings in general, which leads to appreciation and, we can hope, perpetuation of more art in the future.

So, please pardon my Lecture blog being out-of-order in this Lesson 1 assignment.  I promise that I will continue to complete assignments and challenge myself for the remainder of this course.  And, to Mr. Peck, 21st Century Renaissance Man, I know that a little brown-nosing couldn't hurt either.*


*smart ass comments such as these are a fine example of Ms. Ansinn's writing style


No comments:

Post a Comment